It’s about to start getting very busy around here!
I’ve got everything I “think” I need for my Thanksgiving tablescape. Except…well, the tables. We’ll pick those up on Wednesday, along with the chairs. We picked up the carpet cleaner today, and I’m going to do that when Izzy wakes up from her nap. We’ll put up the Christmas decorations either tomorrow or Wednesday (I know, I know, you’re supposed to wait until the day after Thanksgiving. But if I wait, our parents probably won’t get to see our house decorated for Christmas, because we’re going to them for Izzy’s birthday in a few weeks, and then spending Christmas here at home, with just us. I WANT MY MOMMA TO SEE MY TREE….so…yeah…)
I’m trying to decide when I need to start my prep work for all of the cooking I’m planning to do. The turkey has been in the fridge since Friday. I’m crossing my fingers that it’s ready to go into a brine tomorrow. It still feels…solid, lol. I may have to let it soak in cold water in the sink for a while tomorrow.
I should probably take the ham out of the freezer tonight. Other than the turkey and ham, the menu plan is:
- Greens (a mix of mustard and turnip)
- Baked Macaroni and Cheese
- Roasted Veggies (Butternut Squash, Red Potatoes, Carrots)
- Buttered Corn
- Bacon Wrapped Green Beans
- “Real” Cranberry Sauce
- Pumpkin Cheesecake
- Pecan Pie
- and an undecided dessert. I was going to a Cream Cheese Pound cake, but I did a test run of the recipe, and the cake was pretty dry. I made some mistakes (not letting my cream cheese, butter, and eggs get to room temperature before doing my mixing, which the more experienced bakers say can ruin a pound cake), so I’m not sure if I want to try it again, or just scrap it. If I make it, I definitely have to send it home with the guests, because I will eat it ALL. So..yeah, lol.
I feel like I need more veggies or something. I may sneak into the grocery store insanely early tomorrow or Wednesday and grab some brussels sprouts or something. I also need to do some type of bread. I have a package of yeast in the cabinet, so I may try to find a good recipe I can do on my own. Since I have my guests coming rather early, I’m also making a spinach dip and some pinwheel sandwich thingies to serve as snacks. I should probably get a fruit platter or something too. Maybe.
Also, be forewarned, my sappy post about what I’m thankful for is going to be coming soon! I know you guys are probably gonna do them too, so don’t judge me, lol!
How are your holiday preparations coming along?